Wednesday, December 29, 2010

DIY Wonderland Decorations



Hi, ladies! Did you notice the backgrounds in our winter lookbook? Here's how we created our wonderland atmosphere, with the collaboration of Summer from Grey Likes Weddings and art direction/photography by Stephanie Williams. We hope you can use these ideas or find inspiration for your wedding or birthday photo booths, engagement photo shoots, holiday cards, party decor, or whatever else your creative heart desires.

Yarn Balls




1. Blow up balloons to different sizes, and try to mold them into spheres as you blow them up. We used regular party balloons that you can find at the store, but you can search online for larger balloons as well. Tie the balloons instead of knotting them.

2. Mix Elmers Glue (the basic white glue) with water in a bowl. We recommend adding a little bit of water at a time so prevent the mixture from becoming too thin. The end result should be similar to the consistency of paint.

3. This next step is just like paper mache. Pick out any yarn of your choice and dip the yarn into the glue mixture. Wrap the yarn around the balloons until you've reached your desired look.

4. Hang the wrapped balloons from the knot to dry. It may take a day or two for them to dry completely. Once dry, the balloons will fill stiff.

5. Try to separate the balloon from the yarn by pushing the balloon. Slowly let the air out of the balloons by untying the tie (rather than popping them) and continue to gently separate the yarn from the balloon's surface.

Tah-dah! You now have amazing and unique decorations.

Mixed Media Streamers





For this background we hung parchment paper and rolled it down to the floor. In front of it, we hung tulle, cotton fabric, coffee filters, and confetti streamers.

1. Cut the tulle into strips varying thickness. Hang the strips as they are or tie random knots to add interest. To add volume, string fishing line through the tulle, tie a knot, scrunch up the fabric, and tie another knot to keep the tulle puffy and in place.

2. Here's the easiest step! Cut any cotton fabric of your choice into strips. Mix it up with patterns and textured fabric.

3. String fishing line through the coffee filters and tie a knot in the line wherever you want filters to stop. Play around with the spacing for interest.

4. The confetti streamers can be found in any party supply section. You can twist, scrunch, or leave the streamers as they are. Let your creativity soar with this step.




And that's it! You've created your own wonderland atmosphere. We'd love to see photos if you end up trying out any of these tips!

Love,
Ruche

22 comments:

Anna said...

We were so inspired by your beautiful winter lookbook that we borrowed a few of the streamer ideas for a test shoot with a model. You can check out the results here: http://www.liveviewstudios.com/fashion-model-photography/test-shoot-heather/

Great tutorial! Can't wait to try the yarn balls.

Anna said...

Whoops, guess I should have made that a link: Ruche-inspired Test Shoot

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

This is really great inspiration!!! I'll be sure to use your tips for one of my next photoshoots!!! :)
Thanks!
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

Chelsea said...

these are so beautiful! thanks for posting the DIYs! .... i kind of want to decorate my house with these!

Jessica said...

Gorgeous idea!

Balloons said...

This is really great, i like it. Thank you sharing this blog.

Katie in Colors said...

Ruche lookbooks ALWAYS inspire me, and when I saw the winter lookbook, I fell in love and made a mental note to create these backdrops at some point. So easy and affordable!

My favorite thing about Ruche is the way they interact with their customers and fans by offering info like this. You don't find many companies reaching out to their audience in such a relatable way. KUDOS!

fialka012 said...

Krásné...

Aretusa said...

Darling, Your blog and shop are faboulous...
I made a post in my blog using 3 images of youirs and putting a link to you.
I hope You will enjoy!
Kisses

http://petitepoohmonamour.blogspot.com/

Cupcakes and Cutlery said...

I love this!!! What a great, unique, easy idea for adding tons of visual interest. I can't wait to try some of these ideas out!

Anonymous said...

Okay so in the first picture of the "Mixed Media Streamers" section, there are two of this type of streamer I want to figure out how to make. There's one at the far right of the picture and one at the far left, and they kind of look like a bunch of v's. Can someone tell me how to make them or what they're called?

vduenez said...

Simply beautiful and elegant! I having been trying to brainstorm for a budget friendly vintage backdrop to the photo booth I wanted for my outdoor wedding and I found it! Thanks for sharing!

Silver Lining Decor said...

I love the yarn balls! Simply beautiful! They could be used in so many different ways as well.

Unknown said...

Genious! It's simple and beautiful! :)

Sarah said...

If you cover the balloon in vaseline before you start layering up, it while help when everything is dry and won't stick to the yarn.

Danielle said...

Thank you for the awesome background! I used it in a session! So beautiful!
http://daniellehuddlestonphotography.com/?p=2076

shopgirl said...

These are so awesome! I love them! And I love the grey and white!

Thanks for sharing! I'm now your latest follower.
Rambles with Reese

Alexandra said...

Absolutely love the ide with the balloons. It would look faboulous with a light in them too...
Thanks for the inspiration!

http://alltheprettylittlethings.wordpress.com

Remaking Memories said...

I am absolutely making these yarn balls for my wedding. My colors at pink and pewter and these will be perfect hanging over the dance floor. Thanks for the great idea!

amy & lisa said...

LOVE LOVE this!! :) Amazing!

Keepsakes Photography said...

I was wondering how you store this? My studio is in my home, and storage is a huge factor in deciding what backgrounds and props I can have. I LOVE this concept, but can't imagine how to store it, or how to pull it back out and set it up easily.

Suggestions of any kind would be appreciated. Thanks!

Keepsakes Photography said...

I forgot to say I was inquiring about the toole, fabric, coffee filter set. Thanks